Saturday, November 8, 2008

Awwhhh Saturday Morning

Here it is.
We are a family of four.
My husband and I own a business that keeps him busy and out of the house a good, let's go with 6 1/2 days out of 7, and let's also go with that 5-6 of those are 12-14 hour days; so I'm here alone with the kids a lot.
We enjoy a comfortable lifestyle thanks to all his hard work and the children are still alive thanks to all of mine.
We are a family of four living in Canada!
Canada = Hockey; very few of us here can dispute that fact.
For the past four, five, six...years (honestly, who can keep track) there have been early hockey practices and games every Saturday and Sunday of every weekend from late September until early April. This was soon compounded by Dance classes also being scheduled on weekends so as to avoid too many evening activities after school (that just didn't work for our family---everybody got too cranky).
This year though, it's different.
Every body's graduated to big kid classes. Dance classes are held directly after school and we've earned the badge of daytime hockey, having paid the price of ungodly 6:00 (yes, A.M.) hockey!
I now look forward to Saturday mornings; this is all that I need for an enjoyable Saturday morning:



See? 'Zen and the art of RELAXATION' CD playing in the background, a book to read, a magazine to leaf through and COFFEE!! (Maybe works against the whole Zen Relaxation thing, but it's half decaf and the system seems to work) You'll also notice some knitting here today. Yup, I was knitting. You know why I was knitting?

Well, I started out just knitting, because, well, I'm a knitter! And then over the tranquil sounds of my CD came the lilting voices of my children as they prepared their breakfast...

"You took my egg! You selfish, little BRAT!!"

"Yea, well you're an IDIOT!!"

"You selfish, little BRAT!!!"

"Oowww, that hurt!"

"Chicken...!"

"No, I'm just going to eat my breakfast! STOOOOPPPP IIIITTTTT!!!!"

So, I'm knitting. This conversation and numerous variations along the same train of thought were repeated several times. I'm knitting, but becoming more and more distracted by the dialogue in the next room. (Thank God it was a tres, tres, tres, simple pattern!)

I consider putting the knitting down, getting up, walking into the kitchen, clearing a path to the eggs using whatever means necessary, picking up the eggs and TOSSING THE EGGS INTO THE GREEN BIN!!!

Then my plan kind of fell apart. Send them to their room? Scream and yell to add some kind of punishment jobs? Argue about who's in charge around here? Call their father? (Not!!)

It all seemed a little counter productive.

So I focus on my knitting! I repeat in my mind, "Knit, knit, knit....".

As the volume in the kitchen continues to rise, I realize I need reinforcement if I am to continue to remain calm and so I say out loud, "Knit, knit, knit..."

They worked it out (I guess), nobody was bleeding after breakfast; they got fed. Me?

I knit two rows!! Come on....they're long rows!

Moral of the story?

Kids will be kids. They can work it out. (Just like my brother and I did.---That sound you hear is my parents falling down with laughter!)

Most importantly though, I will do WHATEVER it takes to keep Saturday mornings the way I like them---even talk to myself and accept the consequences of brothers and sisters in the kitchen.

Anybody got a problem with that?!

No comments: