Saturday, October 16, 2010

All The World's A Stage!!

MULTIPLE CHOICE

Today, October 16th, 2010, I...(well, I'm not sure what to fill in here)...

a) Enjoyed a lovely, sunny day?
b) Finally got the fish tank cleaned?
c) Experienced, in all it's glory, the wonderment of being the mother of an eleven year old female ie. preteen?
d) Found out I was indispensable?

If you guessed e) All of the above? Well then you've just earned yourself a Hero Biscuit!



What I had planned to do was go here for this for the day. Not too much to ask for, I don't think. I didn't make it to Rhinebeck (again). I don't plan on going to the Creative Festival this year. And I've bailed on my plans to go to Vogue Knitting Live. SO I DON'T THINK I WAS ASKING FOR TOO MUCH FOR A FEW HOURS AT ONE OF MY FAVOURITE KNITTING SHOPS.

Apparently, I was.

Yarns on Stage unveiling was scheduled for 11; I was a bit late...had to organize the fold...but thankfully did not miss the big moment!

Some beautiful yarns were introduced and a lot of wonderful knitters gathered to share in the excitement. Above are just two of the examples....(that came home with me). You can take advantage of the new yarns by visiting Pick Up Sticks yourself!



These yarns were purchased today (I tried to rotate the photo---sorry) to hopefully complete a design idea I have that also involves this:



I picked this up last time I was out to see Connie.

So anyway, the yarns are debuted and the fondling and enabling began...and my phone rang. "Yes, I'm here. Yes, I just got here. Yes, I know what the children are doing (well, supposed to be doing)."

A short while later, and I mean SHORT WHILE, the phone rings again. "No, I can't get the fish that are hard to get, because...I'M HERE!!! KEEP TRYING!!"
I had been away from the house for less than an hour. Connie encouraged me to turn off the phone, but I didn't.
A little more yarn, (in fact I WON some yarn! Connie always has great door prizes) a few snacks and....once again, the phone rings. I go outside for this call, because all the knitters (me being one of them) were having a good time and it was difficult to hear anybody on the phone.
I pointed out that nobody else was getting called, but by the third call I knew my time away was coming to a close. I had made an error in judgement thinking that the house, family, dog, cats and fish would survive if I went to play with yarn for a few HOURS!!!
Honestly, I had packed a bag of Show and Tell. Some items that needed finishing...just a little finishing. I had packed a sketch book to work out some design ideas. Some yarn that I had purchased on my last visit that I thought I might wind there....because I can't seem to get it done here...and start on a little project. I even threw Seascape in there! All told, I probably packed more yarn than I could work with in a week and here's the kicker....
I KNEW I would be buying more yarn (it's what I do), but I wanted to make sure that I had something to work on; I even made sure I had any needles that I would need!

On my final pass around this Sublime Soy Cotton called to me from the sale bin and...into the basket she went! What a beautiful colour; she was meant to come home with me.




When I came home I dove into (literally) the fish tank cleaning; ended up taking a run into town to get a new filter. All the fish are back in the tank alive and well; it's nice to be able to see them again.

I managed to put together a Spaghetti and Meatball dinner, my mom's recipe, which was my aunt's recipe and it always makes me feel soooo good to recapture that taste/memory.

And now I sit here trying not to hear the 13-16 year olds playing in a rock band upstairs...my son's a drummer. The band always practises at the drummer's house, it's a rule.
I may be sounding hard done by here and I know I'm not! I'm very blessed and am grateful for all that I have, but sometimes.......

Luckily this morning I was able to capture this bit of beauty that I now look for every October...



Two years ago I saw this image when I was recuperating in my living room.

I think it looks like an angel. An angel of light.

I'm once again reminded to slow down and just enjoy the beauty that surrounds us everyday, and that includes fish tank and drums kits.

No comments: